View Single Post
Old 10-03-09, 12:33 PM   #16
Miss Alpinestarhero

Default Re: 6 months and qualified to teach kids?

I would be extremely concerned if the length of training was cut to 6 months..even at the current standards of training, schools seem to be failing at providing kids with a decent & enjoyable education.

I understand that there is a desperate need for teachers in various subjects but skipping on the training is hardly going to help. Matt has already mentioned how stressed out and upset my younger brother was over his KS3 exam - his science teacher doesn't know anything. My brother is really quite clever for his age, he's extremely curious and soaks up knowledge like a sponge. He has asked his science teacher so many questions that the teacher himself fails to answer. i.e. "how do you know how far away jupiter is if you've never been there physically"

How can he possibly learn if his teacher can't answer the questions? How can children learn if their teachers don't know more than the bog-standard text books? Obviously teachers can't know eveything but there comes a disconcerting moment when you realise that they cant even answer a childs question.

Maria