View Single Post
Old 31-03-10, 07:58 PM   #212
carternd

Default Re: Exhaust and Number Plates - Police view

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiggles View Post
I have been ridding with the police and i totally respect them and understand small plates are a no no.

but my personal point of view on noisey exhausts is have them and F*** everyone else. i live in my dads loft and theres no insulation so i hear every exhaust loud and clear and everyones conversation as they walk past the house.

I will agree loud exhausts are annoying as there is a bike shop at bottom of road and i hear countless numbers of loud exhausts down my road all day every day even at stupid hours of the morning. i learnt to deal with it so should everyone else. i currently DONT have one on my bike but i plan to as it is SAFER for ridders to have them.

I know i am not the only biker who has had people say "I didnt see you" or something along them lines. So its a way of reassuring myself if i am not seen i can be heard. i know probs get in trouble for loud one but for GODsake we dont drink petrol, we dont cause traffic, and we dont kill others (generally). other people in cars on phone not paying attendion, smoking, drinking while driving is nothing compared to a loud pipe in my opinion.

pulling a bike over for a loud pipe is an annoyance rather then DANGEROUS but yet we get picked on for it and i think it is such ******** and laws should either be harsher to pick on people doing wrong in cars rather than waste efforts on a biker with a loud pipe dont you think?
Laws shouldn't be made to pick on people.

Laws on noise from exhausts etc. apply to cars and lorries as well. The limits may well be different but the rules are there for the same reason - to reduce the impact traffic noise makes. Imagine living by an industrial estate with poorly silenced lorries coming and going at 6 in the morning.

Bike exhausts can also scare people as well, especially during overtaking, and this unintentionally intimidates other road users. I once had the silencer off my old bike, whilst bodging the link-pipe and started it up. My son burst into tears, and was found shaking, attached to his nan.

What gives you the right to ride around sounding like the approach of the apocalypse, and stuff everyone else?