Old 11-09-12, 11:35 PM   #6
gruntygiggles
DaffyGingerBint
Mega Poster

Default Re: 9/11 respect

[QUOTE=Berlin;2770037]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Small Clanger View Post

I don't commemorate 11/11 or the Hillsboro events or the 7/7 events. I don't commemorate openly, any dead.

They are in the past. Having lived in various countries where the past is an embarrassment, (China, Japan, Germany) I find the way they deal with it as an unspoken-of respect to be far more civilised way of doing things.

C
This point may be valid were it not for the fact that the nations you speak of are those who were, in their time, the perpetrators of evil! Of course they don't remember in the same way. The silence is not from embarrassment any more than the people of Bristol feel guilty about the history of slave trading...the silence comes from a desire not to offend those nations who lost so many while fighting for the good. We could all learn something from that.

This forum loves debate, we all know that, but I find it slightly disappointing that people wanting to make a point on this do it by derailing a thread where the intentions are purely honourable.

If you want to make a point about not remembering or why you don't like these threads, please start a new thread and leave this one to those who simply want to pay their respects.

Before you type your thoughts on things like this...ask yourself is your opinion and the sharing of it going to do any good other than to satisfy your need to be heard. If the answer is no...save yourself the effort.

Last edited by gruntygiggles; 11-09-12 at 11:39 PM.
gruntygiggles is offline   Reply With Quote