View Single Post
Old 28-01-18, 02:53 PM   #1
Tomcatracing

Default A question about fork tubes

2002 curvy with standard 41mm tubes.

Due to the usual problems of pitting and corrosion I looked at options, coming to the conclusion that replating was probably the best one. So I sent them off and eventually they have come back. The finish on the running surfaces is fine but what worries me is down the bottom end, at the groove where the bottom bush sits in. It seems to me that to prepare the forks for plating they ground the entire length of it to remove the old chrome. Unfortunately in doing so they have also ground back the lands either side of the bush groove, to the extent that the depth of the groove is just 0,28mm (about 7 thou). To me this is dangerously inadequate as minimal wear in the bush and/or slider could allow the bush to jump out of its groove and jam the forks.

The question I have, that I'd be very grateful if someone could assist me with, is what is the diameter of the lands either side of the groove on a new fork tube? I suspect it's the same as the running surface of the leg but I'd like that confirmed before I go back to the company demanding they do something.

For info on my legs the replated tube diameter is 40.90mm and the diameter of the groove lands is 40.63/40.66