View Single Post
Old 01-02-18, 01:56 PM   #4
Tomcatracing

Default Re: A question about fork tubes

Thanks Dave but it's the dimensions I need. This is a bit of a saga so bear with me. I sent the forks to Brooks Suspension who input it into their system on 1 December, finally returning them after 2 chase-up messages on 27 January. One leg looked fine but the other had a massive step in the chrome, see pic.

I suspect this is an area where the bushes and seals don't run but I brought it to their attention, since it looks like the step is asymmetrical in any case. That got me looking at the rest of the fork tube and raised my suspicion that the bush groove lands had been ground down as part of the process. If this is the case then it would only take a small amount of wear in the bush or slider bore for the bush to be able to jump out of the groove and jam the fork.

I've measured both tubes and although only one has the big step in the chrome both have similar groove land dimensions.

I contacted Brooks Suspension almost a week ago but they have not responded, so before I start taking any action against them I'm looking to get as many facts as possible in place.