Thread: Veganism
View Single Post
Old 15-01-17, 12:04 PM   #10
Littlepeahead
Mega Poster

Default Re: Veganism

I think cutting down on meat would be good for all of us. I get teased because my reasons for not eating pork are because pigs are cute and clever. I spent much of my childhood on my uncle's pig farm which had happy non intensively reared pigs, which I ate back then, but sadly welfare standards for most pigs are terrible. Many farm animals are pumped full of antibiotics to prevent illnesses caused by the cramped conditions they live in. They are fed GM crops.

I'm lucky that I earn enough to buy good quality free range meat, but for those on a budget I can see the appeal of cheap Danish bacon and Thai imported chicken. A vegetable risotto will probably always work out cheaper than a packet of chicken nuggets but takes time to prepare and cook, and that puts a lot of people off.

We also still have a culture of meat being the centre of the meal and veg being side dishes, which is a shame.

Maybe if everyone went meat free a couple of days a week, which I often do without even thinking about it, that would be a good start.

Waitrose magazine this month is full of delicious recipes, I didn't even spot they were all vegetarian or vegan until I read the editor's intro.