Thread: SV650S project
View Single Post
Old 29-03-24, 10:46 AM   #8
henrythenoob

Default Re: SV650S project

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamSV View Post
Definitely the easiest way to do it.

However, if you’re motivated to do the work just because you want to do the work (and I can relate to that) then crack on.

Get a decent socket set.

Top yoke conversion won’t be difficult. Take your time, do your research, buy a torque wrench.

You might need longer cables for choke and throttle plus brake lines - depends how high and wide you want to go with the bars. I’d fit them then see how cables are looking. I’ve seen them rerouted through the frame but doesn’t look great IMO. Don’t pull the old choke cable out until you’ve got the new one - join them and you can use the old one to pull through the new. Download the workshop manual and buy more tools. [emoji3]

You’ve got loads of options for headlight. Mount it to the forks or there’s a handy lug on the front of the headstock you can use for a fixed set-up/old speed triple type arrangement.

Older Suzuki Bandit clocks will work and have the same speedo drive - if you’re not using that you’ll need to set up magnets and a hall sensor (loads of info for that here and elsewhere). You’ll still need to do a bit of wiring. I’d recommend using proper automotive connectors and pins. Buy a proper crimping tool.

You’ll have a lot of wiring loom to hide that lives inside the fairing. The naked loom is different and puts a lot of wires in the headlight bucket but that won’t work for the S loom. You can lose a bit of length when you’re rewiring the light and clocks but if you lift the tank you’ll see there’s room to reroute the front loom around the airbox and then out by the headstock. Get some loom tape and reusable cable ties. And more tools.[emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for all this info.

I won’t buy a sv650n for a few reasons, this is my first bike, I’m 30 years old right now and when I was 10, my dad used to have one exactly like this one, same model same colour…I got attached to it, that’s the reason why I chose to work on it even though it’ll cost me more to finish the project (no one would finish projects if money was the main objection…)

Is really good to know that I can use the bandit cluster for this, I bought the ABM kit from Louis.ie, it has included all the cables and brake line on the right length. I’ll use a handlebar that was suggested on the kit, so hopefully it’ll fit correctly.

I bought the torque wrench and a few new tools to work with the electrical part of the project together with connections and shrink wrap and a few other things.

Again, thank you for your comment and motivation! Will definitely post some pictures when I get all the parts and start working on it.
henrythenoob is offline   Reply With Quote