View Single Post
Old 01-05-18, 03:39 PM   #31
Biker Biggles
Mega Poster

Default Re: The Crash Detectives - a sobering story

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heorot View Post
Sometimes, just being a biker is enough to set some people off. A few weeks ago I was on the bike overtaking a queue of slow moving traffic on an A road at rush hour. As I was about to overtake a people carrier, it suddenly swerved right into the oncoming lane to block my pass. Fortunately, I saw the move early enough to brake but had to move into the oncoming lane. Luckily there was no traffic coming towards me otherwise I would have been wiped out.
Thats exactly the kind of behaviour that needs stamping out very firmly. Theres not really any difference between that and killing someone apart from the luck of the draw. If you had fallen off and there had been a car coming the other way that driver could have been looking at a death by dangerous driving charge, but as that didnt happen he is looking at nothing so will probably do it again.
Id like to see better enforcement and a more detailed log kept on driving offences. Anyone caught causing high risk to others gets an endorsement and doing it again results in a ban. You dont get your ticket back until you can demonstrate you are both competant and attitudinally reformed.Some people wont pass that test and wont ever drive again. The message would soon get through that aggressive and provocative driving was no longer tolerated and the roads would be much safer for it. Long prison terms might make us feel collectively better but only proper enforcement will make any difference.