Thread: Zen Broadband
View Single Post
Old 09-02-19, 11:38 AM   #9
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Re: Zen Broadband

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking Heads View Post
Have you confirmed that your PC's and laptop's network hardware is actually capable of speeds above 200/100?

100 is damn fast btw.....
No, and since my laptop is at least 9 years old, I doubt that it's capable, the desktop is a bit newer but to be honest I see no difference (with my usage) between 100 and 200Mb/s.

I have loaded another ping program called EMCO, it's pinging google in Los Angeles and Virgin in Nottingham, when it loses a packet it pings the modem to make sure it's not a cable problem, it also chimes when connection is dropped. If I wait for a chime and then try and load a new webpage it will fail - it sits there until it either belatedly loads (a new chime indicates reconnection) or it says: "no internet".
This happened twice between 10:13 am and 10:17 am, if I look at the BQM graph (which is an external site pinging me) it shows an interruption at this time (I've annotated the lower BQM graph)

Since the Virgin network guy implied it might be both of my PCs, I have just ordered a new Lenovo 330S, Ryzen5, 256Gb SSD laptop and a usb-C to ethernet adaptor since modern laptops don't have an ethernet port now.

I am pretty confident that this is a Virgin problem and I'm meeting the local manager on Tuesday but their network guy insists that everything is ok as fa as he is concerned.

This is what my BQM graph looked like after the last repair 2 years ago (working great).

This is what it looks like now:

The red spikes are packet loss. The network guy's equipment does not show any problems.
On 3 of my 4 upstream channels my modem is reporting 160 T3 timeouts (in 24 hours).
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote