Thread: Germany
View Single Post
Old 13-02-11, 05:15 PM   #4
Loopydog

Default Re: Germany

Hi - we live in the Mosel (aka Moselle) valley, 35 miles from the Nurburgring, near Bernkastel Kues ('the pearl of the Mosel') and just 40 miles from the Luxemburg border. We run a bike tours business (not touting for business but if you want an impression of the area, visit www.moselbikes.com ).
The area is fabulous for biking, with all sorts of roads appropriate for all sorts of bikers and bikes. The area is mainly deep-cut river valleys, with steep-sided vineyards, topped by forests and surrounded by open farmland. There really is a great mix of riverside 'touristy' roads, tight hairpin roads and fast sweepers, all within a reasonably compact area. It's also a 'holiday' area in its own right, with lots of things to do and see. Then there's the high quality wine and interesting beers, traditional villages, river boats and of course, the Nurburgring circuit itself. The beauty about using this area for your tour base is that you won't have to ride the 500kms daily as you did before, and have a ittle more time to be selective over the routes you take - which will make for a much more concentrated and enjoyable riding experience. If you want to go a bit further on some days, great towns like Heidelberg and areas such as the Ardennes are easily doable whilst still being relaxed. I should also say that the valley has its own 'microclimate' and is often described as Medditerranean. Certainly last year, between May and September, we had very hot and dry weather, sometimes reaching 40c! Mind it can also be cooler.
Regarding accommodation, there are loads of relatively cheap b&b's, self catering units and camp sites. You can expect to pay around 25-30 euros a night for a single room at a small hotel or b&b.
We live in a very large house and the whole of the ground floor is unused. It's not used commercially as we outsource our tour hotels, but I'm open to 'letting' a room or two from time to time, to club members, at peanut rates to cover leccy and water (both expensive and metered here). If I'm not on a tour, I'd also be more than happy to take you round the area for a day or two (no charge)
I'd be more than happy to give more information if you want it, just ask here or by pm.
It's a great biking area and I'm sure you'd have a great time.