Thread: Project: 500GP
View Single Post
Old 07-04-20, 10:39 PM   #127
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Default Re: Project: 500GP

I thought quarantine would give me more time, but oddly no. I'm working from home now so most of my day is filled generating beer tokens as normal and this past week I don't even know where the evenings have gone. But I have managed to grab some time to finish the test fitting.

The right hand rearset went on without a problem. It all looks good, I'm happy with the first fitment.

I need to test fit an exhaust, as well as change the rotation of the rear brake cam connecting arm, but at the moment I'm not concerned. I do think that the brake lever arm may give me some challenges though. I think it will need to be longer then I first calculated plus I will need to change the bends from the originals. I've bought a small pipe bender and hopefully this will be strong enough without the use of heat but time will tell.

As for the left I've been playing around with the spacers. Adding a 5mm spacer to the main body brings it out enough to comfortably clear the swingarm. I then added 5mm to the peg spacer to move the gear lever out to clear the connecting rod, and then 5mm to the linkage to bring it back in line. This should give about 3mm clearance on the lever toe peg, there will be some slack in the lever so hopefully this will be enough. I'll only really know once I have fitted the bush to the lever properly, and thats going to have to wait.

I also have decided that the connection rod could probably do with shortening as although it looks right its basically at its maximum adjustment. So I will make some -10mm and -20mm rods, might also make some +10mm to give me further options. This will all be once we get out of quarantine. I need to make some more spacers as well as the brake stopper so a metal order is on the list. I also have a rather large list of bolts that I need to also order as well as some more bushing material as I think I'm going to need more than what I've got to make the full 4 sets.

Once I've proved this set I'll be looking to finish all of them, going through the hole drilling process and then some light sanding and finishing before anodising. And I still need to sort those springs. Trouble is with all thats going on in the world I don't know when thats going to be so I might need to find something else to do with this bike...

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote