Thread: running on one
View Single Post
Old 09-01-23, 08:19 PM   #7
Ruffy

Default Re: running on one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
So, it's not an SV650X which you put in your first post? It's a curvy - a carb model?
I believe SV650X is the correct official designation for the first year of curvy models (It never helps when manufacturers re-use designations does it?!)

Anyway, back to trying to help OP, a few thoughts:
  • Swapping coils is a bit fiddly if you have larger hands, but not impossible. Getting the small wiring connections re-attached was what I found most awkward due to the limited length out of the loom.
  • From memory, I think the front coil low-tension wiring is what pulses the tacho, so if the rev-counter works but the front cylinder not then that narrows electrical gremlins to coil, HT lead or plug. Bibio's suggestion of plug swap first will help narrow further.
  • I seem to recall the HT leads are different length front and rear so that may impede a check by swapping. I can't remember if HT leads can be changed out from stock coils.
  • Is it possible the front carb float or plunger has stuck, causing fuel supply randomness? Does the exhaust have a stronger smell of petrol than usual? If not, the fuel is possibly not getting through, and this may also be why it's not backfiring at all? A few gentle taps of the float bowl may free it (though impossible to know for sure, or how permanent a fix it will be), otherwise I fear it's a carb off and stripdown required to check.
redtrummy, I know I'm not very far away from you but unfortunately I have a car in pieces that I need to dedicate most of my spare daylight time to, so sadly I can't offer much right now to come and get hands' on. I could probably plan in something for Feb/Mar if you want a second pair of eyes and can wait a bit?
Ruffy is offline   Reply With Quote