View Single Post
Old 04-05-19, 06:55 PM   #6
Scittyf

Default Re: New member - SV400

Just a bit of an update.
Took the bike out for a first ride. Thought this seems a bit gutless and struggled to review out past 8k with any real power. Lethargic is probably the word to best describe it.

Anyway having check through service history seemed like a restrictor had been fitted. Making it about 27hp all in.

Which would go some way to explaining the gutless engine. Basically I was short shifting to get back into peak torque.

Anyway thought I'll take the carbs apart to see if there were any rogue washers hindering the throttling.

Turns out the jet slide had holes in it. So effectively throttling the carbs. Now I don't have the original slides.

So I thought I'll tape over using electrical tape after cleaning the carbs. Least until I get some new slides.

All seems to work nicely and back up to 54hp. Rather than the awful 27hp. Reminded me of two stroke 125 days but without the exciting revs.

Anyway revs well. Twin engine is great fun. Chain sorted and oiled. Carbs cleaned and sync and she's running well. Even managed a clean. Even sounds better now through the intake.

Quite happy with the little 400. Feels slightly quicker than a cb500 I used to have. Although the specs say it probably isn't.
Scittyf is offline   Reply With Quote