Thread: Cleaning Carbs
View Single Post
Old 15-02-18, 01:49 PM   #18
ophic
Mega Poster

Default Re: Cleaning Carbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 650 View Post
Would love to know how an ultrasonic clean would be any different to pulling the jets and shoving weld tips through them (which is what 99.9% of mechanics will do) and spraying the carbs with carb cleaner (which, again, 99.9% of mechanics will do, and they won't even remove the slides so the bloody slide boots warp).

Plonk the carbs in a big enough ultrasonic cleaner, let it do it's thing, blow the holes out with an airline - this WILL sort an absolute plethora of carb issues and should cost next to nothing. Unless of course you're talking about a proper job being done...i.e. carbs stripped down to components, everything cleaned properly, reassembled then cleaned in an ultrasonic tub just to be safe...then yeah, it's not cheap, but why would it be? It's labour and skill intensive.
Having had one done that sorted my carb problems (not on an SV) - I agree. The main cost was labour in removing the carbs. The actual ultrasonic clean was virtually free - in fact you can buy your own ultrasonic cleaners for not that much money.