View Single Post
Old 25-02-15, 01:33 PM   #12
Balky001
Mega Poster

Default Re: Novice Friendly Track Days

Good idea. I know Robert Bensley of the BWM club also does organise Road Bike days which is attractive to novice TD'ers but I don't think the tuition or time on track is different to regular track days. You do have to turn up on the bike, no slicks, track bikes etc.

In regard to other schools or TD companies that provide/hire bikes, I've used rented track bikes previously (excess can be scary especially as the ones I've hired you get the full hit even if you break a £10 lever). Whilst they were decent modern bikes, they are not yours, the tyres might have had dozens of heat cycles and therefore grip is not predictable (not such an issue with Ron Haslam as they use road tyres but many companies use track day go'ers used track orientated tyres so can be less than perfect) and the bike is not set up for you so the first sessions can be just adjusting and getting used to it. I don't think I ever felt like I could go 100% (of my abilty) on a loaned bike.

A negative about unsupervised novice only days is the range of ability you might have in each group, poor lines and unpredictable behaviour/braking/concentration and a lot of companies put 40 in each group for 20 mins max, so this package looks pretty good on the face of it.

I think the best event I ever did was Nurburgring where you followed an instructor and no overtaking within the group (you overtook other groups once indicated to do so). At first I thought this would be limiting but it was amazing how quick we all become in 2 days.

Anyway, I like the initiative and will be interested in the feedback too. If B&W start doing similar packages for inter/fast will certainly be interested.

Last edited by Balky001; 25-02-15 at 01:34 PM.
Balky001 is offline   Reply With Quote