Thread: Boiler Question
View Single Post
Old 05-12-16, 12:33 PM   #3
DuncanC

Default Re: Biloer Question

1. The automatic air vent is similar to a float bowl in a carb. When water is present the float lifts and shuts the valve. When air is present the float drops and lets the air out. Just like on a carb if you get crud on the seat the valve will leak.
2. Turning off the automatic air vent is no different to it being shut because there is no air present so it will be safe. The only downside is that any air that goes past the automatic vent won't be vented so will satay in the system. Unless you have a massive amount of air in the system it won't make any difference. The worst that could happen is the pump will lose its prime if it fills with air. if this happens then the low flow switch will shutdown the boiler.

I have to ask why did you drain down the system to take a radiator off? What is wrong with the valves either side of the rad?

For future reference I always bleed the system with the boiler and pump off. Once I have been round once I start the pump up for a bit to push any air to high points (radiators). I then stop the pump and bleed the system again. After that I just turn it all back on. If it starts gurgling I will bleed the radiator that is noisy again.
DuncanC is offline   Reply With Quote