View Single Post
Old 08-01-22, 06:54 PM   #449
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default Re: The Covid19 thread

Don't forget that 40 new hospitals were promised - so presumably there (is) was a need for more facilities.
(Only 6 may be built)
We were also promised 50,000 new nurses.
(15,000 of which were already working, due to leave and were going to be tempted into staying)
We are also short of 50,000 doctors.

By accident or design, the NHS is slowly being run down. Bit by bit privatisation is being introduced (remember Branson suing the NHS because he didn't get a contract?). The "NHS" Test and Trace was Serco. I had an "NHS" cat scan which was performed by a private company.

The Conservatives would prefer to move closer to the US health insurance model in the belief that private companies are more efficient and offer competition. Tylenol (Paracetamol) is about $80 a bottle in a US hospital and about $2 in a drug store. My friend in Arkansas cannot always afford his insulin by the end of the year because of his Medicare coverage and the insulin type he needs. My first child was born in the US before our health insurance covered us, it was very expensive. I hope we don't go down the same path.

The NHS is funded by general taxation and boosted by NI payments. 12.8% of GDP goes to healthcare.
Should we pay a token cost for each doctor's visit to cut needless GP visits? Should more money be spent on healthy living? 63% of UK population is obese/overweight (35 million people). Difficult decisions.

I think covid has shone a spotlight on the problems that were already present in the NHS. I suspect it will get worse with employee burn out assuming this pandemic ever goes away.
As a nation we are aging and our overall health as individuals is getting worse, I'm no longer sure that pumping increasing amounts of money into the NHS is going to fix the problem.

edit: the NHS spends £18 billion/yr on obesity related issues. https://theconversation.com/what-is-...nd-eats-164410
Maybe we need to look at that.

Last edited by Seeker; 08-01-22 at 08:53 PM.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote