Thread: Project: 500GP
View Single Post
Old 07-12-16, 10:45 PM   #8
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Default Re: Project: 500GP

I thought buying the bike was a bit of a gamble as it was unregistered. I don't believe that the YSR ever came officially to these shores and though I've nothing against imports (my NC23 was a grey) I'd never gone through the process myself.

To make matters worse the bike wasn't on the NOVA system which is a prerequisite to getting a number plate, the reason being the bike came here 10 years ago. It was imported, sold and nothing happened to it for about 8 years until it changed hands to the previous owner who intended to do something with it but 2 years later put it up on eBay and that's how it made it to me.

Thankfully I did have some paperwork including the CE389 (forerunner to the NOVA system). I sent the DVLA the CE389, a copy of the receipt, a copy of the VJMC dating certificate that came with the bike, a couple of pictures of the machine, and a covering letter explaining the situation. About 2 weeks later a letter arrived back from HMRC stating that I should only submit the CE389 with a completed NOVA application form. Luckily though they also sent me a NOVA form.

I filled in the form sent it back and two weeks later a letter arrived stating that "HMRC have reviewed your vehicle notification and are satisfied that no VAT is due". They also sent a Notification Reference Number, and the note that I can now apply to the DVLA to register it. Much relieved with no VAT to pay for the import plus it now being on the NOVA system technically means that all that would be required would be an MOT.

The thought did cross my mind, but no, this is a 500GP project...

For reference and to give it some scale here it is next to a bike that we might be familiar with:

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote