Thread: Brakes failed!
View Single Post
Old 05-10-17, 08:54 AM   #11
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Default Re: Brakes failed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ophic View Post
Undeserved. I panicked and just happened to do the right thing. More luck than judgement. I can't even manage to swear intelligibly.

Looking through the footage to find it made me realise that if it had happened at any other point in the journey it would have been a lot worse. I'm filtering in traffic, I'm pulling up behind other bikers, etc etc - coulda taken out a whole lot of people.

The video doesn't look all that dramatic but it's not how I was feeling. That "oh holy cr4p I can't stop" moment is something I really don't wanna repeat.
You may have initially panicked but the fact you recovered to safety quickly shows great reactions IMHO.As you say,it could have been much worse and thankfully it was you on the bike.I also agree with the other poster.Go for a ride on your bike or another bike ASAP.

I always have a fear on this happening as I had a brake fail in a car years ago.Road was clear and manged to pull in ok.

Since then on my Bikes I basically use the,"Hendon Shuffle" method at traffic lights as well as from the lights I keep my right foot hovering over the rear brake in town traffic until I'm sure I'm clear.It's become 2nd nature to me now over the years.

http://www.survivalskills.co.uk/riding_skills_43.htm

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 05-10-17 at 08:58 AM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote