View Single Post
Old 13-06-18, 06:24 PM   #5
R1ffR4ff
Mega Poster

Default Re: Alternator/reg/rec question ...

Further to the good advice you have been given get to the main Connector block between the Stator and the R/R and check for corrosion on the pins and sockets.

Unfortunately mine is located under the rear seat fairing so it was seats off and fairing off and it took a while for me to spot the two small JIS(Phillips look alike) screws near the rear underneath that have to be removed as they were hard to see.Before I put them pack I painted them with some white paint just so I would know where to find them next time.

If corrosion found remove with a small jeweller's/electrical screwdriver with a bit of 500 grade grit/wet-and-dry paper wrapped around the end and gently rub the male and female contacts to remove corrosion.Then blow them out with some Carb/Brake cleaner and let dry and then and spray out with Electrical cleaner/Contact spray(I also treat mine with ACF50).

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/Aut...t+Spray/p81507

Any build up of corrosion on these High Current contacts causes electrical resistance that robs the charging circuit of current and can eventually lead to component failures and the connector to melt and possibly short and destroy parts in the system.

Last edited by R1ffR4ff; 13-06-18 at 07:23 PM.
R1ffR4ff is offline   Reply With Quote