View Single Post
Old 04-01-16, 10:31 AM   #8
allantheboss

Default Re: Bike recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specialone View Post
If you're not going off road, the triumph explorer is cheaper, more powerful, narrower and looks better in my opinion.
I've just sold mine after nearly 3 years of ownership, fantastic bike.

I'd also consider the ktm 1190, it will have top notch suspension that will handle the crappy roads.
I'll check it out. Why did you sell? And any cons to the bike?

I've checked out the KTM but it is too low-seated now. They tried to make it more average-friendly and it's cramped for me. The bike actually sits very low, too. Shame though, suspension seems to be the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlepeahead View Post
How about the F800GS. I know it's another BMW but not quite so obese. Tall, spoked wheels, and if it's anything like my F650GS you can get decent engine bars and the Vario panniers and top box. Opened out you'll be as wide as a Fiat 500 but you'll get enough kit on there for a week, including hair straighteners and 5 different face creams (I am a women, I don't travel light).

Color schemes - well I like the triple black version but I'm sure they do others.

I swapped the standard 650 screen for the standard 800 one and it offers really good wind protection. Givi do an even taller screen.
But it seems like apart from being thinner, it offers nothing better for me over the 1200. It is lower, suspension weaker, no weather protection, smaller tank, not comfy for pillion, slower, etc. Besides, I'm on an XT660X right now so a switch to an F800 would just be a brand change with many of the things I'm looking to move away from!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maviczap View Post
In Italy it would make sense to go with an Italian bike. Duke multistrada
If you ever lived in Italy, you'd see that even Italians avoid Italian things because they know how sh*t they are at everything except football. Also, I would NEVER (again) buy a bike in Italy because their beaurocracy is so f*cked up. Last bike took 2 months from complete purchase to being able to ride, and that's pretty standard. Also, despite 5 years NCB, 3rd-party insurance (not fire+theft) on an XT660X was 1050 euro. That's why everyone drives scooters here. The "motorbiking" capital of the world discourages motorbikes to an extreme extent. Same issues with cars. I've lived here for 1.25 years and seen 1 exotic Italian car, which was Swiss registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specialone View Post
He wants it to ride Mav not look at
Just like with my Italian women.