View Single Post
Old 03-03-08, 10:11 AM   #6
Ceri JC

Default Re: Need a tent for the AR08?

Unless you're a midget (or it's an exceedingly large 2 man tent), you won't fit 2 people and their bike kit/bags in a 2 man tent. You can work around this, by keeping your kit in the luggage on your bike (ideally under a bike cover for security/a bit of protection from the elements). One thing I'd point out is that when hiking your main considerations are weight and the size of it packed away (and it is with this in mind that most small tents are designed). When you're on a bike, the weight (obviously within reason) doesn't enter into it so much and it is the size it packs down to that becomes the most imortant factor. It's for this reason I take a metal framed camp bed (marginally smaller packed away than a foam roll mat) on the back of the bike, but would never do so when hiking. I would be interested to see if anyone had recommendations for a 3 man tent that focused on small size packed away over weight, as I've yet to come across one. I imagine they would have fewer (but heavier/more strong) poles, pegs, etc.

EDIT: Lozzo's tent looks really good. With a nice big porch like that there should be plenty of space for lid/leathers. I may well have to consider one of those to replace my own tent (which is a bit too small even for me on my own).

Last edited by Ceri JC; 03-03-08 at 10:14 AM.