View Single Post
Old 15-05-09, 11:04 AM   #13
fizzwheel
Super Moderator
Mega Poster

Default Re: AR Marking Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
I think this is the problem - people have seen how it works and want to be one of the supposed "priviledged few" who get to overtake everyone and make it back to the front rather than being "herded" from one stop to the next.
It is some of the problem. I think some of the problem is that people dont understand how stressy it is leading a big group of riders, When you have a dozen or so on a regional rideout its not so bad, But I was very nervous about the AR rideout.

But not having markers IMHO encourages racing / aggressive riding and the AR ride is IMHO not the place for it. Let me give some examples if I may

I got buzzed on AR06 by somebody maknig their way up through the pack, He passed me so close at speed that it made me jump out the seat, I reckon I could have moved my elbow out by a CM or two and he would have hit my elbow.

I got aggressively overtaken by somebody else doing the same to the point I had to brake so hard to avoid hitting the back of them that I nearly sent my pillion into orbit.

I didnt pick last years markers on riding ability, If thats how it is being percieved then that is the wrong perception.

I picked last years markers because I knew

That they would stop to mark a junction

That they would stop in a safe place and not put themselves or others in danger

That they would wait at the junction until TEC came into sight or caught them up

When I was out in front leadnig I didnt want to have to worry about whether junctions were marked and when my Dad was out in front leading I didnt want him worrying about it either. Dad was worried about leading as he had never done so for such a big group of riders, he said to me afterwards how well the ride had gone and that he liked seeing a group of Yellow bibs behind him as he knew that the route would be marked properly. It made him more relaxed and he enjoyed his day a hell of lot more because of it.

K5 GSXR 750 Anniversary Edition
fizzwheel is offline   Reply With Quote