View Single Post
Old 13-04-08, 02:41 AM   #6
lukemillar
Mega Poster

Default Re: Trackday - Eastern Creek - Sat 12th April

It had to happen - lowsided my new 2 week old Daytona at around 130kph I'm fine - really testament to all my gear which held up superbly. Even the GB Racing crash bungs and engine covers did a great job taking the brunt of the slide....until I hit the gravel trap. See, having never visited a gravel trap, I thought they were made up of the soft powdery stuff you get in dressage arenas - not frickin stones and dirt! So, despite all the damage being cosmetic, pretty much all of it was done by the damn gravel trap.

As for the accident itself - Little bit of a mystery. I was really flying. The bike was performing superbly, though a lot of people had warned me about the lack of trail on the bike and that it was liable to tuck without warning rather than slide. One quick fix that a few people advised was to drop the forks down so that the caps were flush with the yoke. I'm getting some suspension work done in a couple of weeks and the tuner agreed that this would be good. Anyway, I was about mid way through turn 12 - fast left hander on the start finish and I have gone in a little hot. Knee is already on the deck and am starting to wind the throttle on. The extra speed is drifting me wide, so I lean a little more to compensate and bam, front end goes. I'm guessing I just leaned off the side of the tyre as I was already cranked right over. Just wish I could see some pics or video to get a better idea.

Anyway, pics:

Front fairing - gravel rash - apart from the rear, None of the plastics cracked!

Poor tank - small dent; more gravel rash

Yet more gravel rash

Alternator cover did a great job - Paws, Ed + Monkey, If just have crash bungs then I would definitely advise getting these too.

Damaged side panel (already got a replacement from fleabay) GB Racing crash bung and covers. Missing indy

Tail unit, ripped apart. Fortunately there is nothing in there - just empty space. Maybe I should have left the pillion pegs on though!

Gear lever didn't snap - just bent. Will try bending back

Pic of the bike after a hose down. Not too bad - couple of bits to get it back on the road and then scour ebay for cheap replacement parts

A few pics of the actually day are here, but mainly the first two sessions:

Thanks
Luke
#24 - Honda VFR400R NC30

Last edited by lukemillar; 13-04-08 at 02:59 AM. Reason: resized pics
lukemillar is offline   Reply With Quote