View Single Post
Old 05-07-18, 08:37 PM   #11
EliteAlex

Default Re: New bike help! What constitutes high mileage? Query about servicing too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibio View Post
on modern engines 25k miles is the point the engine is properly bedded in, especially IL4's.

properly looked after 25k is the point that most bikes need a good old FULL service including brake pads, chain and sprockets, valve adjustment, suspension components etc.etc and maybe this is why idiots are saying get rid of it coz they dont want to spend money. these same people are the ones that dont change oil and filters at the proper service intervals then moan because their bike breaks they have probably never even held a spanner or read their handbook.

a "service" is not just an oil and filter change and a bit of grease splashed hear and there but most people dont want to spend the money getting it done properly.

most bikers should know how to do basic servicing then advance onto more difficult stuff as the bike needs it. tools are just as important as the bike but tools last a lifetime if you get the correct ones. when starting out you buy tools as you need them for the job your doing on the bike.

dealer service stamps in a book mean shizz.

my sv650 has 38k miles on the clock and i can guarantee its in just as mechanically sound than when it came out the showroom as i keep on top of servicing it PROPERLY.

so the upshot is if you dont have tools or know how to use them or like many others dont want to get your pretty hands dirty or dont want to learn then buy a brand new bike, "cant cook, wont cook" springs to mind.

That's reassuring to hear. I quite agree with the servicing. Learn as you go. I'm quite comfortable doing the oil, filters, spark plugs etc. and have done previously, but wouldn't feel confident enough to do more complex things like fork services etc.

"Look after you bike, and it'll look after you" also seems appropriate! haha