View Single Post
Old 12-08-09, 12:27 PM   #51
Von Teese

Default Re: Thank you from the AR09 Dogs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruntygiggles View Post
Boxers are lovely dogs but daft as hell.......I think you have to get a breed you both love and the best way to learn about different breeds and their requirements/suitability is to call the different breed associations and ask for advice.

Collies are amazing and incredibly easy to train, so I'd automatically say to get a collie, but they are very demanding in terms of exercise and need for mental stimulation.

l
+1 Boxers are MENTAL, every single one Ive met has left me exhausted afterwards and when I was doing dog behaviour they were one of our most common 'customers'.

Collies = Lots of energy, need masses of training but good if you start out as you intend to go on.

Rescue dogs come with their own set of issues....can be trying but rewarding as long as you dont end up with an extremely difficult one, but then any rescue rehoming something difficult usually looks for homes where the owners are very experienced or at home all day.

Labs and retrievers are nice friendly dogs, usually good with other pets and children.

I would recommend 'The dog listener' and the 'Practical dog listener' to anyone , Jan Fennell is one of the best dog behaviourists ever, she thinks like a dog and that's what its all about. Read her books some bits seem whacky but they work.