View Single Post
Old 12-08-09, 12:41 PM   #52
gruntygiggles
DaffyGingerBint
Mega Poster

Default Re: Thank you from the AR09 Dogs!

I have a Jan Fennel book if you want me to send it to you.

My ex and his wife got a boxer pup a month before Dan and I got our pups. He was £800 KC registered, they've now spent over £3k in vets bills and he's crazy. Pete is not very good with dogs....he prefers to give them a hard smack or throw things at them when they are naughty, so he's going to end up with probably a fear aggressive dog in a few years......funnily enough, a bit like Stig was!

I think the most important piece of advise I can give you will be the hardest you can both carry out and that is to ignore your new dog/puppy as much as possible for the first few days. It's hard, but means they are less likely to suffer seperation anxiety and it allows them time to build their own confidence in the new surroundings. Crowding, cuddling and playing with a new dog/puppy, can actually be quite stressful for them in the early days. Save the cuddles for the evening and let the dog/puppy come to you for them. Every 3rd time it comes, turn it away so it doesn't learn it can demand your attention.