View Single Post
Old 12-12-07, 02:56 PM   #5
Dan

Default Re: never been to a track day, what you like to have known before your first track experience?

I did my first (bike) trackday at Croft in July, and it's a brilliant circuit, much better than others I've been on surface wise, although it has a reputation for chewing tyres up as it's a pretty abrasive surface.

Things to note:
You will need an ACU approved helmet and 1 piece or two piece zip-together leathers which connect all the way round.

Trailer your bike there if possible - if the worst happens you'll be happy you did (like I was).

Make sure your bike is in tip-top nick, you don't want something silly like a flat battery ruining your day.

Don't drink anything the night before, and get an early night. When I came off, I was breathalysed - it was a new thing that trackday company does (they'd had a guy come off a few months prior who was so ****ed he could hardly stand).

You may or may not need to tape the lights, some trackday organisers/tracks aren't fussed, some are. Plenty of people rode at Croft with untaped lights.

Tape over your speedo. You do NOT need to know how fast you're going.

Take plenty of water, and/or your favourite energy drink, and DRINK IT.

Eat little and often, high energy stuff, you'll be amazed how tiring it is.

If possible, get yourself a set of manky fairings to ruin in case you bin it. I wish I'd followed that advice.

Crash bungs are your friends.

Don't try to keep up with anyone else, ride your own ride.