Thread: Project: 500GP
View Single Post
Old 03-04-17, 12:18 AM   #84
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Default Re: Project: 500GP

The hubs, unfortunately I don't have any good pictures of them off the bike but they were painted gold and that needed to be changed. To paint them properly first I need to remove the old paint, I tried cellulose thinners, Nitromors, and a wire brush on a drill. But none of it really worked, the closest was the wire brush but due to the intricate design and recesses of the hub the old paint was still there. So there was only one answer, sandblasting. Trouble is I don't have a sandblaster. Thankfully Rolling Art pointed me in the direction of a chemical strippers that they use so a trip to an industrial estate and for an extremely reasonable price very quickly Centaur Stripping took all the old paint off for me.

The hubs were painted in the same way as the back plate (as they were painted at the same time) cooked and rubbed down. All that I needed to do was add some bearings and seals.

All Balls supplied the bearing kits and the installation with my little press started. Don't worry about the little surface rust on the drum, that will come off the first time I use the rear brake, but that might take some time as I don't actually use the rear, but that's another story.

When assembling the rear there is a spacer with a rim on it that should only go in one way. I added some grease to it before sealing it in there with the other bearing. I used the axle to ensure that the spacer was correctly aligned before bringing the bearing down to rest on its seat. Oddly there is only a seal on the sprocket side not the drum side, this is as per the parts fiche but the kit did contain a second seal, I'm not sure if I should use it?

Over to the front hub next.

Same process as before, comparing to my spare set the seal is quite high so that how I fitted it. Lesson for future ensure that you have more photos of parts before disassembly as without the spare to work from I might have set the seal lower.

Anyway the front hub only had one seal like the rear, but unlike the rear kit there was only one seal.

Next I fit the rims so the tyres that are on order have something to attach too...

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote