Thread: Project: 500GP
View Single Post
Old 05-04-17, 10:53 PM   #85
squirrel_hunter
Mega Poster

Default Re: Project: 500GP

The rims, now I could have just stripped the originals back to bare metal and painted them to match the hubs, but I wanted to do something a little different. And a while back I picked up a secondhand set of Douglas aluminium billet racing wheels.

All I've done to them is to give them a little rub over with some Autosol. There are some marks on there like with the swingarm but that's fine, that just adds character. Interestingly they each weigh about 1.5kg each.

Next the freshly built hubs were installed on the rims. I've not torqued the bolts up yet as I'm in two minds about replacing the nuts and bolts for some new ones as they are showing their age a little.

And finally Bike Treads stuck a set of Dunlop TT93 tyres on for me.

Now before I fit them to the bike I need to sort that swingarm bearing out as it is not rotating smoothly. So I took the arm out and had a look and the bearings are scrap. I think what has happened is on installing the arm I managed to over tighten the pivot bolt as I can see the frame expand a fair bit when I loosened it off. It didn't feel that tight on assembly and its only up to 40nm, but obviously something went wrong. Hopefully a new set of bearings will solve this, but getting the old ones out is going to be fun again...

May I add here, GG is awesome and I think I am in love with Stretchie...he rocks my world!

SH2 | 2MA | GROM | YSR
squirrel_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote