View Single Post
Old 20-06-18, 02:45 PM   #2
maviczap
Mega Poster

Default Re: Smile of the day - What is yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker View Post
I've just got back from viewing a care home with a view to a weeks respite care for my Dad (well, for me really). It was a nice place, they've just had a new wing built and all the rooms are en-suite. The bathrooms have a central drain so even if you forgot to pull the shower curtain you wouldn't flood the room. I thought at £550/week it seemed like good value - I had previously looked at full time care homes and they were quoting £32k/year (not that he would agree to that anyway). He gets assessed tomorrow by the care home and if that is ok I should soon be getting a whole 7 days free.
That's good news for you and that price is good having had to go through that experience with my mum last year. My mum paid about the same

If you didn't know, then if your dad has savings under £22k then he shouldn't pay, if he goes into care full time the local council should cover his care bills, if I remember correctly. Above that which also include any property, then he will have to pay. Unless your mum or any relative is still living at the property.

So we had to sell my mum's house, as her savings would have only paid for about a years residential care.

Even if his savings are under the threshold, they will take any pension payments as contribution toward his care, minus small amounts for newspapers & stuff like that.

Do not put up with the council asking you to contribute!

He can give gifts of up to £5000 I think.

But whats most important is the care home they go to, I visited 3 before settling on one, and I'm glad I did, as they really did care for my mum for the last 7 months of her life. I had no concerns about her treatment ever, any problems, me or my sister were contacted straight away.
maviczap is offline   Reply With Quote