View Single Post
Old 24-06-07, 07:53 PM   #7
northwind
Mega Poster

Default Re: Recommend me some crash bungs!!

Yeah, I agree with Stu. I had the old R&Gs, the ones that everyone hated, and they did sterling service for me- perfect performance on 2 occasions, very impressed. Saved me a fortune. But then I got the new ones, and honestly I think they're not good enough... Superb design but the bung's too weak. You see far too many stories of low-speed (under 40mph) lowsides and them snapping right off without hitting a solid object, that's bad. Some people have them snap off on impact with the ground and still think they're doing good work, which confuses me...

This is mine after a gentle lowside in gravel at, at most, 25mph. They did protect, but not as much as they should, the main bolt is only M10 and bent like a coathanger. The tapered base of the bung means a lot of force goes through that bolt. Add to this that the replacement parts were going to be £30 plus £8 P&P- for such simple, sacrificial parts that's too much IMO, when the entire bung set including the brackets was not much more than twice that. So, I got these:

Motosliders, which as you can see I finally tested 2 weeks ago. The damage is almost identical to the R&Gs, apart from the rear lever which was untouched. In fairness though, they're higher up and so more protected... But the crash was at higher speed, the bike went down harder, then slid into a kerb still carrying maybe 20mph. If it hadn't hit the kerb then it'd have not damaged the front fairing at all, or damaged the front lever and clipon- all that missing paint is still there, smeared into the concrete. So, faster harder crash, same damage, and most caused by hitting a solid object not the slide. Also, the bung was worn but not bent back (though they will break if they hit a solid object, they're designed to as all good bungs should be) so only one part had to be replaced (and it's suitably cheap)

Crash bungs are always a matter of balance. Too strong, and they risk creating damage, since if you slide into a hard object like a kerb, they have to either bend, break, or pass the impact on. Too weak, and of course they just bend or break. IMO GSG Moko, Motosliders and the old JHS ones all got this right. The old R&Gs nearly did, provided you got one of the sets with the right machining. The new ones IMO have it badly wrong.

However... The R&G design is brilliant. With a wide bung to spread the load, they'd be every bit as good as the competition, if not better. Perhaps a GSXR thou bung would do it. The only reason i didn't do this was the high cost of spares and postage. My motosliders cost less to ship from the US with a complete spare set of bungs and a set of swingarm bungs than a new set of R&Gs- and arrived faster too. You could do a lot worse than R&G...

Motrax DHMs are weak, even after they changed the design so that they were held on with more than 5mm of thread (credit to them there, I complained and they refunded me in full and changed the design shortly after, good stuff. Still a deeply flawed design, too long and too weak). Cheap, though. The OEM for the pointy are atrocious... The old Motrax ones are merely shoddy, too short to be useful but fairly strong. The metal ones you see are dreadful. Motovation are almost identical to the motosliders, for obvious reasons, they're a simple ripoff. So, they're a great buy but personally I wouldn't.

I would, and no doubt will, buy more Motosliders though. Good product, good price, good spares availability. What more do you want? Oh aye, also, that Pazzo front lever did absolutely brilliantly, it took a hell of a hit but was still the right shape. Far better than stock does, I'll be replacing it with another for sure and the last one is still good as a spare. Damage limitation can go beyond bungs.
But we're oh so easily swayed"

Last edited by northwind; 24-06-07 at 07:57 PM.
northwind is offline   Reply With Quote