View Single Post
Old 16-04-17, 09:33 AM   #16
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Default Re: joined the property ladder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
Having said all that I can see how hard it would be for kids to repeat that now. The cost of even starter homes here in the south is just plain daft but they also live in a society of must haves with a have it now, pay sometime later attitude.
It all depends on priorities - 'partnerships' don't seem to last long nowadays and people getting married is rarer than it used to be (and they don't last too long either, and the more the wedding costs the shorter the marriage seems to be, and young couples seem to think it is compulsory to pay £20K + for a wedding). So maybe renting suits the mindset of the millennial generation who don't want commitments (a lot of them even 'rent' cars now with PCP deals because they like to have a new plate car regularly) but basically PCP is wasted money as well because they don't want to or can't pay off 'lump sum' at end to buy car and roll over into another contract................

I was talking to Bro-in-law the other day and he was on about chalets on golf courses which cost about £40K, his daughter (living at home but wants to be married) piped up 'well we would give you £40K for the (5 bedroom) house and you and mom could go and get a chalet (I would like to think she was joking, but unfortunately I think she was being more than half serious).

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote