View Single Post
Old 13-10-17, 01:57 PM   #5032
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Default Re: Gripe of the day - What is yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky View Post
Boiler is acting up.

No problem it is under contract.

Technician today looks at it, and says if you buy a new boiler we may be able to discount by approx £700 if I do no work on this. WTF have I been paying a contract for if you aint going to fix?

So he has spent the past 3 hours swearing at it. Glad to know I am getting my moneys worth. and should be OK for the winter.
After a long time and a few replacement fans on our Vaillant condensing boiler (at many £100's per fan) and the basic cause of the fan failure not being picked up by service engineers (the bearings in the fan failed due to moisture from condensate getting into them as well as onto the fan control PCB, the bearings are not easily replaceable as once assembled the fan impeller is glued on). I have finally found the problem myself - and it dates back to original installer of boiler not reading the instructions. Basically the horizontal section flue pipe that exits through house or garage wall is supposed to slope away from boiler (surely this must be common to all boilers) so that any moisture condensing in the flue drains away to outside world, BUT the original, highly trained Corgi, GasSafe or whatever they call themselves these days installer fitted the exhaust sloping back towards the boiled so that condensed water (acidic) was running back down the pipe, dripping onto top of heat exchanger flashing into steam and then condensing on the fan assembly, affecting the fan PCB control board and rusting the bearings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ophic View Post
They knew how old the boiler was when they renewed the contract, as they inspect it every year. Same old story - happy to take your money and then fail when you need them. No discounts were offered, no suggestions, no help at all really. And this was British Gas, not some small time startup company.
Good old BG, the cowboys of the heating industry, Happy to sell you an umbrella, but as soon as it starts to rain they take it back - they are supposed to service our neighbours boiler and heating system, we have the same system and I asked him if they had ever replaced or advised him to replace the sacrificial anode in his pressurised hot water storage tank (which is there to stop the glass lined, mild steel tank rusting through and flooding the house) he said it had never been done (supposed to be replaced every 5 years, tank is now 20 years old) - I have personally replaced ours 3 times so far (only cost about £40) - we had a similar tank rust away and burst many years ago, luckily it was in garage, not upstairs in the house, so damage was limited. BG have never mentioned replacing it or done it.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 13-10-17 at 02:08 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote