View Single Post
Old 26-09-16, 07:09 PM   #72
Red Herring
Mega Poster

Default Re: The trackday thread.

Brands and it's noise meters! Took the GSXR and SV to Brands today, put them both through noise testing and as it was a 102db static I left the baffle out of the SV, and as usual it passed giving a reading of 99db.

Did the first session on the SV, bit of a wobble round but no issues so did the next two on the GSXR. During lunch it poured down so put the wets (road legal Avons) on the Sv and went out for some fun. Got black flagged mid session for setting off the drive-by noise meters located around the circuit. No problem, took me just a moment to put the baffle in and was retested at 94db static.

Unfortunately there was then a bit of an incident which meant the track was closed for a while, and in the end, what with the weather still being a bit iffy and all that, there were only a few of us left still up for riding round when they finally reopened. Went out on the SV again, and there were only two other bikes on track, and when I came in at the end was greeted by the marshal who told me I was about to get another black flag as I'd set off the alarms again! Apparently they are set at 92bd drive by and I was recording 93.6db in the dip at the bottom of Paddock.

My SV is fitted with an M4 system mated to a Leo Vince titanium can, and with the baffle it's sold and marked as a road legal system. Given where I'm triggering it I'm only just getting onto full throttle in 4th gear which I then carry all the way up to Druids I'm wondering if the problem is actually induction roar rather than exhaust noise. I've got a K&N filter with the front of the tank raised and the snorkel removed so it's fairly open.

Food for thought, anyway won't be gong back to Brands anytime soon.... especially if it's raining!
Red Herring is offline   Reply With Quote