View Single Post
Old 29-11-21, 02:41 PM   #438
Ruffy

Default Re: The Covid19 thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenrico View Post
Are you suggesting anybody over 70 doesn't deserve protecting ?!
No, that's an over-simplification. Being left more at risk by policy is not the same as being unprotected. The approach to dealing with all must be balanced and proportionate. It's always a trade-off and there isn't one perfect answer to be found. However, I can conceive that denying the young en-masse a reasonable expectation of social interaction, experience and wellbeing is possibly inappropriate (or unfair) and will lead to many other problems for individuals and society. Sadly there will inevitably be some who lose out whatever position is selected but we can't avoid making certain policy-level choices - that still sits uncomfortably for me, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenrico View Post
I sympathise with your family situation but we are being asked to wear a mask in enclosed public spaces and on public transport as well as isolate for 10 days if you have covid, which is hardly putting your life in a parking bay.
In any case , it isn't just old people we are trying to protect, it is people like yourself if you are in a vulnerable category. Best wishes anyway, let's take precautions where we can.
Thank you for the suportive words. My life is a mess for a whole host of reasons but I'm definitely not looking for sympathy, I wrote what I did to provide context and illustrate the perspective of my opinions.

Whilst the imposed requirements nowadays are obviously not off-the-scale ridiculous, we have to accept that they follow c.18months that included draconian lockdown that prevented people seeing family and friends or doing any non-subsistence activities. That was definitely a parking bay existence! There also remains a continuing ribbon of fear being propogated that is further affecting the way society functions in general.

I may be "vulnerable" (but probably not in covid terms, against official categorisations, to my knowledge) but I do not want anyone to protect me - I am content to make my own choices about risks and take the consequences. (FWIW, I have immediate family far more vulnerable than me and they feel much the same way.) Prevention/Restriction/Limitation is culturally difficult in our way of life so we shouldn't be surprised that people push back. Unfortunately, restoring the joy of life we had pre-covid is far more complex than just allowing the activities to return with a mask and warnings about social distancing. I've taken reasonable precautions to guard myself (having the jabs etc.), and no question that if I suspect symptoms in me I will act to prevent pass-on as far as I can by isolating etc. However, I find the implicit demand that we should all behave in everything we do like everyone (including ourselves) is a killer, 'just in case', to be ever-present and insidious. And it's just demoralising for me.

Last edited by Ruffy; 29-11-21 at 02:42 PM. Reason: word change
Ruffy is offline   Reply With Quote