View Single Post
Old 13-06-18, 03:10 PM   #1
Seeker
Mega Poster

Default EU copyright directive reform

I wrote to all (6 of) my MEPs expressing my oppostion to articles 11 and 13 of the proposed EU Copyright Directive and one answered (so far). What's more is that she had read about it and agreed with me that it should be opposed (wow).

I'm a reddit.com fan (it's addictive), here's what someone posted to explain the two articles:

Article 11 would create a "link tax:” Links that share short snippets of news articles, even just the headline, could become subject to copyright licensing fees— pretty much ending the way users share and discuss news and information in a place like Reddit.

Article 13 would force internet platforms to install automatic upload filters to scan (and potentially censor) every single piece of content for potential copyright-infringing material. This law does not anticipate the difficult practical questions of how companies can know what is an infringement of copyright. As a result of this big flaw, the law’s most likely result would be the effective shutdown of user-generated content platforms in Europe, since unless companies know what is infringing, we would need to review and remove all sorts of potentially legitimate content if we believe the company may have liability.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote