View Single Post
Old 27-12-18, 05:14 PM   #1
mister c
Mega Poster

Default 1979 Suzuki X5 Long term rebuild

Hi.
I seemed to have put my rebuild in the wrong part of the forum. If you would like to see how this started, the thread is here https://forums.sv650.org/showthread.php?t=231180

So, with Christmas upon us, progress has been slow. New tyres were fitted & not a lot else has happened. I've ordered some new parts & even found a couple of impossible to find bits in Indonesia of all places .
The 1st impossible piece is the handlebar cover. This is a small piece of plastic with "Suzuki" embossed on it. Sat on Ebay at stupid o'clock in the morning & came across this part after hours of trawling.

The Suzuki part isn't painted on the X5, so I took some very fine wire wool & sanded it all off. I then had to make a bracket out of some aluminium plate I have in the shed & fitted it. I'm really pleased as it looks OE.

I also noticed that when the tyres were fitted, the shocks looked wrong. I was correct, when I measured them, they were 280mm centre to centre, X5 shocks are 300mm. I found a compnay called TEC, their shocks look just like standard & were a great price too. They arrived within a couple of days & were really easy to fit. They have made one heck of a difference.

I've also found a brand new old stock chain cover from the same place in Indonesia & a brand new tail piece cover from a seller in the UK, but waiting for these to arrive.

Today I had some indicators & the front mudguard arrive, so, after work set to in the shed to fit them. The indicators were nice & easy to fit, but the pattern mudguard was a different story. I've had to drill the mounting holes, so used the original as a template. When I drilled the holes & mounted it. Unfortunately, it's sitting a little high, so, tomorrow after work, I'll do some jigging & filing to get it sitting right.

Hopefully I should have a few more parts turning up over the next few days.

Last edited by mister c; 27-12-18 at 05:26 PM.
mister c is offline   Reply With Quote