View Single Post
Old 12-07-19, 10:10 AM   #4
Othen

Default RPM and speed not working - 2005 SV650S

The attached circuit diagram may help.

I don’t think it can be sensor failure because the RPM and speed sensors are different, and I don’t think it can be a fuse because some things work, others don’t.

That leaves either the cluster that has failed, or a bad connection block leading to it. Either way it has to come apart (taking the fairing off to get access doesn’t take long), then check all the block connectors first, because they are the cheap bit. Use a test meter to check for voltage and continuity as per the diagram. Give everything a spray with some contact cleaner as you put it together. If you are very fortunate it may be a block connector - if it was intermittent before the crack occurred it could be water ingress or corrosion.

If that doesn’t work then by a process of elimination it probably has to be the instrument cluster - which will probably be an expensive part (new) but because SVs are so common there will be a cheaper used part around (it may well have the wrong mileage reading, but I don’t think it will be electronically keyed to the original bike).

I hope it is just a bad connection or two, but I fear it is probably the instrument cluster. Take your time and check everything methodically before you buy the expensive bit.

Good fortune,

Alan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by Othen; 15-07-19 at 06:34 AM.