View Single Post
Old 13-03-19, 03:23 PM   #1501
Othen

Default Re: What have you tinkered with today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV650rules View Post
I learned the hard way many years ago never to skimp on tool quality - not only are the cheap allen keys made of mild steel and round off easily but they are very often not accurate on their size, and have rounded instead of fairly sharp corners anyway - so they will not fit very well. Same with spanners, and I also try to get full hex sockets as well to give max grip on the bolt head, but if the bolt is gonna shear off anyway because its made of cheese metal the full hex won't help - but at least it stops corners of bolt head rounding off...

Good tools will last a lifetime anyway with a moderate amount of care ( eg. not using a ratchet as a hammer ) and save much more than their purchase price.. win-win

I agree, I use either Halfords Professional or my US Craftsman internal hexagons with a ratchet or bar.

The issue here is that the threads have not moved for 13 years, even when I managed to get the first bolt moving it was tight all the way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Addendum: This bike keeps fighting back! The left over bolt shaft just would not move and eventually snapped off almost flush, so I had to drill it out. It was stuck solid, it didn't move using left hand twist bits - even when I got as far as the 5mm drill. I had a M6 helicoil kit to hand so I replaced the thread.

The master cylinder is all apart now, but it was a struggle. I'm still not really happy with it so I've found a good used replacement for £20 from eBay.

Alan

Last edited by Othen; 14-03-19 at 05:51 PM.