View Single Post
Old 08-01-19, 01:54 PM   #49
Sir Trev
Mega Poster

Default Re: to all the workers, a message from the bosses

Quote:
Originally Posted by ophic View Post

For private companies, it's make profit or die.

For public companies, it's run the service. Oh it's not making a profit? Doesn't matter we can survive that way because we're backed by public coffers, and hence we can limp along really inefficiently until the gov't takes some action.

This bears out my observations as well. Worked at one of our contracts where a lot of the people were ex civil servants who were on TUPE terms. As far as they were concerned they were still public employees as their rights to a guaranteed pay increase, their final salary pension, and all their other perks were "untouchable". You could tell which of the people around you were which as the rest of us were trying to make things work better and the former civil lot ignored us, refused to change anything, claiming it works fine as it is so why change. They insisted on just moving paper about between ten people when two and a new process could do it in half the time. The joke is there were so many thing they could pick up that were not being done at all so there was never any suggestion of redundancies - they simply did not care a jot. You never get that sort of complacency in the private sector, thankfully, as it would have driven me nuts years ago. In the past five years I have been contracting I have refused to work in the public sector for exactly this reason. I know this is not representative of all public workers but that lot put me right off!

If we re-nationalise some of the industries sold off you can bet your backside most of them will slide straight back to their old ways again.