View Single Post
Old 04-03-19, 05:48 PM   #46
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Default Re: The Sat Nav minefield!

Quote:
Originally Posted by embee View Post
Went to use my Zumo 595 today, only to find the battery completely flat. Then I remembered, it has a rather odd feature where if you just push the on/off button it doesn't actually turn off, it goes into power saving mode, which is power saving but the unit is still powered so flattens the battery eventually. To turn it off you hold the power button for 5sec then it asks if you want to turn off. A bit bonkers but as long as you remember then it's OK. When touring and using it every day it will usually survive until next morning so while I'm sure I forget to turn it "off" sometimes, it actually performs fine.
Garmin is quirky to say the least.
Replacement batteries for Garmin are available at very cheap prices, I have replaced battery on both of mine. The symptoms of failing battery are when the usable time gets shorter, but it happens fairly slowly, but knowing what I know now about 3 years is about time, I got a kit with a DVD, tools and battery for less than £20. Just the battery about £10.... If you have it plugged into power all the time no worries, but I like to use mine while walking and also not plugged in for shorter journeys, when using it on foot I do carry a separate power bank and adaptor lead for emergency use.

https://www.argos.co.uk/browse/techn...banks/c:30297/

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 04-03-19 at 05:50 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote