View Single Post
Old 05-01-17, 07:58 PM   #22
Blapper

Default Re: Front brake caliper overhaul...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig380 View Post
This whole thread got me thinking: why don't brake calipers on cars seem to need such regular maintenance? They don't seem to be sealed or protected from the elements any better than on a bike.

For example, a few years ago I owned a Passat PD130 diesel from new, for 5 and half years and 70,000 miles. When I sold it, it still had the factory brake pads and discs, and the brake fluid had never been changed, yet the brakes never gave me a moment of worry.

Yet there's no way I'd run a bike for anywhere near that length of time with stripping the calipers and changing the fluid (I changed brake fluid on my SV shortly after buying it, as well as greasing the slide pins etc).
I think you may be mistaken there Craig. Brake fluid change is part of the VW service schedule on my Touran, so I expect it was changed in routine service but they never told you. I have a service contract for my car and the fluid change just happens magically in the background.

Plus car calipers have had gaitors that cover the pistons for many years now so the calipers don't get the same bombardment at all.

Last edited by Blapper; 05-01-17 at 07:59 PM.
Blapper is offline   Reply With Quote