View Single Post
Old 08-04-22, 06:17 AM   #15
daktulos

Default Re: Non Fungible Tokens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffy View Post
I'm left wondering about the ability to hack the chain to forge things and I'm also now wondering if the ledger always needs to be an inefficient complete 'chain' or if instead it could be innovated to be a series of uniquely linked lists that could be processed separately and far more efficiently to an extent, but I don't really know enough about modern computer technology to sensibly go down that rabbit hole...
The way it works is that when someone generates a block, some sort of consensus is gained and everyone starts working on the new block. It is possible that two people generate different blocks, but one of them would be abandoned.

It only works because the generation of a block is so difficult. If it was easier, I think there'd be a chance of hacking it, but don't know the protocol in enough detail.

I think the problem is, if it's trivial to create a block (which would make it environmentally better) there'd need to be some sort of central control to protect it - perhaps an authority with a private key. But, central control is really what the blockchain was designed to avoid.
daktulos is offline   Reply With Quote