View Single Post
Old 15-07-17, 04:25 PM   #8
SV650rules
Mega Poster

Default Re: H4 LED Headlight Bulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Biker View Post
Are your lights reflector or projector lenses?
The problem you will find is that most LED headlight bulbs don't usually work well in reflector lenses as the light beam scatters all over the place. Projector lenses work much better with LED bulbs.
A company called Classic Car LEDs sell H4 LED bulbs that apparently are suitable for reflector lenses and have good reviews, they are expensive though at £70 ish a pair!
Thanks for that link, they are the best I have seen to date, all the rest seem to have a bulky fan assembly on the back. I have just ordered one for my bike, may have to mod the rear of the reflector housing slightly but will let you know how I get on.

update 1 Tuesday 18th July - H4 Bulb delivered and no way it will fit in the L7 headlamp housing if it has to share it with present wiring - although what they say is true that screw on heatsink is no longer than a standard bulb with the heatsink in 'short' mode. Due to the bulb retainer spring being too tall and the amount of protrusion of plastic housing at back of bulb I can't fit heatsink the short way, and heatsink the other way it is too tall. The light is bright, and cut-off is good so would not dazzle as much as the Phillips Xtreme Brite H4 xenon filament bulb I have in - so filament bulb back in for now while I make a plan.

update 2 Wednesday 19th July - Today I took headlight shell off and also plastic fairing around digital display and pulled the wiring back and tied up outside headlamp shell only wiring inside headlamp now is pilot lamp and the lead from constant current LED supply unit - the reflector complete with heatsink behind bulb (the 'long' way) now fits inside shell OK. The light is VERY white - as I said dipped beam cut-off is very sharp, although my 2016 bike not due for MOT till 2019 I don't foresee any problem with passing with the beam pattern and brightness, brightness supposed to be 80watt Halogen equivalent - when I can get bike out in the dark I will take some photos of beams.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Last edited by SV650rules; 19-07-17 at 06:06 PM.
SV650rules is offline   Reply With Quote