View Single Post
Old 05-09-11, 05:32 PM   #17
yorkie_chris
Noisy Git
Mega Poster

Default Re: Any qualified scuba divers out there?

Yeah sounds good, I'll have a spare 9l 207bar once I get the new 12l tested.

I did first bit of OW at Blue Lagoon on Saturday, the name is a rather ironic one

Quote:
Originally Posted by rictus01 View Post
I'm not sure if it's changed, but the standard open water PADI certification didn't include drysuit diving, as this requires additional training and was a separate course, it could all be combined now, but knowing PADI and their fondness for making money out of you I think probably not.
We're being taught drysuit use on the open water bit, they've kindly offered to "stamp the card" for a bargain £85. The drysuit speciality isn't included as part of OW, though we are actually doing it in it. TBH it seems to be throwing good money after bad paying a ticket for the privilege of renting kit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rictus01 View Post
Oh and Chris, whilst I applaud you frugalness, Diving isn't one of those activities you want to "have a go yourself" with kit wise, even dry suits are live saving kit both thermally as well as buoyancy wise, you mess around with that kind of thing at your own (and maybe buddies) peril.

Cheers Mark.
I can see your point though I disagree, lots of people would change a seal or what have you mid-trip themselves. Would you fly home from Egypt etc. to have your friendly local dive shop mend a sundry item for you?

I'd rather learn how to do these things myself and have a mate who's been doing this stuff for years check the job over afterwards. Same with the bikes, I'd rather know myself than blindly trust "the main dealer" to do it right when my life depends on it. Saving a few quid is a completely secondary objective.