View Single Post
Old 19-11-18, 10:57 PM   #15
embee
Mega Poster

Default Re: the mood in your area

Regardless of whether you're a remoaner or a Mogglodite, I really can't understand why anyone thinks that a UK government left entirely to their own devices with no independent over-seers (ECJ etc) will make a better job of things than they have done so far under the directive of the EU.
It's interesting that so many folk in the UK consider that the EU is something which is done to us, rather than us being a member of a club.
The EU have simply stuck to their well established terms and conditions, if we want out of it we leave all the benefits behind, simple. They are the 27 other countries of the EU, why should each or any other country compromise their interests to improve the lot of a country who has decided to quit the club?
Of course we can't have a better deal for trading with the EU than we could while a member, that would just be bonkers, so by definition trade is going to have more friction. Ah yes they say, we'll do trade deals all over the world to compensate. Well, we do as much trade with Belgium as we do with China at present, and who thinks if we do an independent trade deal with China or India or Russia or Brazil that the UK will come out of it best?
The EU has trade deals of one form or another with over 50 countries across the world, which as a member we can make use of. Once we drop out of the EU presumably we also drop out of all those deals. So we then have to do 50+ trade deals of at least as good terms as they have with the EU in order to break even. The EU deal with Japan recently concluded took 7 yrs to negotiate and will take 8 yrs to fully implement. Good luck UK.
I'm feeling fatalistic about it to be honest, it's what the UK wants and it'll be what the UK deserves. Que sera, sera. I guess when everything domestically is going so well here in the UK we can afford ourselves the luxury of breaking away and walking our own path, it's not as if anything needs sorting out at home is it?
I would say c'est la vie, but that's just rubbing salt in the would.
My European friends simply cannot fathom what it is the UK wants out of it, and I reassure them that we don't know either.

Last edited by embee; 19-11-18 at 11:01 PM.
embee is offline   Reply With Quote