View Single Post
Old 09-01-09, 09:14 AM   #4
timwilky
Mega Poster

Default Re: New law to trak emails...

How do the powers that be think this is going to work?.

I run my own SMTP servers at home. Mail comes direct from 3rd parties to me. there are nobody elses servers involved.

So If my mate in the US who runs his own mail servers want to send me a mail. It goes from his server direct to mine. All my ISP knows is there was traffic on port 25. not who sent it or who the recipient was (as in the envelope details) just there was traffic between two servers.

Next if I feel like I want to set up naughty mail between me and my mate, we simply install an AES256 VPN between us. Then the ISP does not even know we are even exchanging mail etc. Or even simpler just move SMTP onto a different port for mail we do not want them to know about.

Well thought out requirement I think not.

Plenty of companies run their own mail servers. We have ours on regional hub points. I send a mail on my company system, It hits the Internet in Switzerland. Somebody in the states sends me a mail, it hits the company mail server in the states, or maybe the one in Singapore etc. guess they will not be monitoring the internet mail I send/receive through work unless they try to enforce UK law to the world.