View Single Post
Old 09-01-09, 09:21 AM   #6
ogden
Mega Poster

Default Re: New law to trak emails...

Quote:
Originally Posted by timwilky View Post
How do the powers that be think this is going to work?.

I run my own SMTP servers at home. Mail comes direct from 3rd parties to me. there are nobody elses servers involved.

So If my mate in the US who runs his own mail servers want to send me a mail. It goes from his server direct to mine. All my ISP knows is there was traffic on port 25. not who sent it or who the recipient was (as in the envelope details) just there was traffic between two servers.
Easy. Transparent redirect by the ISP so all connections out from your machine to port 25 are terminated on the ISP's mail relays. They then log traffic in the usual way and forward the mail on. I've seen it done plenty of times.
OK, so all they're logging is mail you're sending, not receiving, but that's half the battle won.

The actual volume of log data isn't that bad either - it's just text, so easily compressed and nearline storage is cheap as chips with 1TB SATA disks.

As much as I don't like the idea of every email I send being tracked, it's no differeent to the logging of phone call termination info by telcos and they've been doing that for years.
S1000XR | 990SMT | YZF-R6 #7
ogden is offline   Reply With Quote