View Single Post
Old 18-06-18, 10:54 PM   #1
aje14700

Exclamation 2001 SV650 Engine Diagnostic Help

Hello Everyone, new here to the forum.

I'm hoping some helpful mechanics might be able to help me diagnose an engine issue.

This paragraph is the lead up to my issue, skip to the next paragraph if you don't care. So a few weeks ago, I started up my bike to go riding like any other time. I was out just cruising around downtown for about an hour. I decide to head back home, and hopped back on the interstate. As I was almost back my engine noise changed, to where it sounded more fart-y. This would only happen if I kept the speed constant, if I started slowing down or speeding up, it would go back to normal. Then just a bit after that, I heard some clanking, I was going ~75mph, so it was hard to tell from where, I checked my chain, and it was still there doing it's thing. I was already heading home, so I was just going to go straight there. As I'm getting off the interstate, and this is the real lucky part, I hit the next 5 green lights back to my place. I get into the shared left turn lane, and the moment I put it into neutral, engine dies. I tried to crank it back up, but couldn't. It was still turning over, just wouldn't start. I push it across the 2 lanes to where I was turning, and tried to start it again, but alas. So I end up pushing it the last .5 mile back to my place. The battery was clearly dead, and it was almost 8pm at this point, so I decided to deal with it later.

At this point I think I have an battery or stator or rectifier issue. I get the battery charged and tested at autozone, and they said the battery should still be good. So I take it back to start the bike back up. I am welcomed by a horendous impact wrench noise coming from the engine. Note the engine is on it's sidestand at this point. So I immediately turn it off, and investigate later (it was late at that point too).

I get it up on it's stands so it's vertical, and get audio of it clanking. Now it sounds much better (still bad), but better. Now it's only intermittent clicks and clanks. I was the one who stopped the bike with the kill switch at the end of that video. Based on the story above, I talked to a local mechanic, and purely based on my description, thought I might have a stator failure, where a coil broke off.

I decided to take the crank case off to investigate (sorry for it being vertical). Nothing looks out of the ordinary.

I decided to take off the clutch side as well, nothing looks wrong either.

I put both sides back together, and tried starting up one more time. Sounded a little worse than the running video, but basically the same. Now here's some extra info. <del>This last time, I decided to try to shift it into gear. The moment I dropped it into first (with the clutch still held in), the bike immediately died</del> I'm stupid and forgot the kickstand was down (cause I had it on front and rear stands. It drops into first now. Tried again, and same result. Additionally, I discovered a small ball bearing in my oil pan. Unless the bearing came from the clutch release mechanism (from the outside where the clutch cable runs to, but I don't think that's it), it probably came from inside the engine. I don't have a picture currently, but I can get it if you think the size might be pertinent.

I've already come to terms that I'm probably going to have to drop the engine and possibly split it to fix the issue, but if anyone has any thoughts or other diagnose steps, I'm all ears. I'm already looking at some other bikes as a replacement, but if I can fix my SV, then I can have 2 bikes

Last edited by aje14700; 19-06-18 at 10:44 PM.